ETSY | My Handmade Polymer Clay Gnomes

What started as something to relax with at the end of the day has turned into the creation of so many different polymer clay Fairy Garden Gnome characters...more than I ever expected.  And I am enjoying making every hand made, no molds, creation.  Most are not repeated, so when you see something you really like offered for sale on Etsy, you should grab it because it may not get made again.

 


 

The size of these little garden gnomes is small.  Well under 2 inches tall and I think it is what makes them cute.  Great for little flower pots indoors...as well as tiered trays.  Keep them out of direct, hot sun as it could ruin the piece, and fade the color.

I have fairy gardens set up around my yard, but I have yet to incorporate anything outside that I have made...because they sell out that fast.    I am looking forward to fall and having enough of my little clay friends for sales and myself.

I was working on some items this afternoon because the weather here turned cooler, currently in the 40's now, and very rainy.  The freshly planted flowers love the rain and it is much needed as these past few weeks have been above the average temps in the 80's and 90's. I took a walk around the yard before nightfall, in the rain, and everything is greening up beautifully. There is so much peace found there.   I think I need to make some flower gnomes next!  Okay, well after I get my Halloween Witches made.  And more pumpkins...

and....that is why I really don't do custom orders yet.  I like having a physical item to ship INSTANTLY...rather than someone waiting for me to find the time to get their order made.  

Oh, one other thing to note about making these little guys is the scarcity of the polymer clay.  I know there have been shortages since last year on finding packs of clay in retail stores and when you do, the price has gone up considerably. Three dollars and over for regular pricing and over two dollars on sale for a small 2 ounce block.  And every week the stores like Hobby Lobby and Michael's that offer it in store shorten the display sections carrying the product as if to clearance out this craft.  Forget about getting it mail order.  When I found at least 15 blocks of colors I needed from Michael's, it took weeks and weeks to get here...one block at a time, from random stores.

Sadly, I don't pay wholesale prices for my materials - even those distributors can't meet the demands for clay.  And you don't get many gnomes per 2 ounce block of clay. 

Add in the expense part of selling them...

  • printer paper
  • printer ink
  • business card/thank you
  • Thank You sticker
  • packing paper
  • tissue paper
  • small boxes to ship with
  • mini boxes to hold gnomes inside
  • tulle drawstring bags
  • white cotton rounds for protection
  • ribbon
  • bubble wrap
  • tape
  • gas to purchase supplies
  • gas to drop off packages
  • oven to bake
  • fees for Etsy listings
  • fees for Etsy promotions (can't opt out)
  • fees for Etsy sold items ( includes percentage fee on shipping paid by me)
  • personal taxes
  • Clay
  • Metal Brads for accents  (they are pricey)
  • alcohol ( not to drink, although ;)  ...lol)
  • bags to store clay
  • containers to store finished items
  • containers to hold supplies
  • baking trays
  • glass trays to work from
  • staging supplies
  • my time


so, yes, there is plenty that goes into making a tiny $4.00 - $5.00 clay garden decor item...  and I mention all of this so you understand...doing it is all a mission of love to create something by hand...not personal gain.

Click here to see all of the photos.

Click here to check out my Etsy Shop.