Life Writings | The Evolution Of Change - Coupons, Returns, and Exchanges

There were a few things I wanted to write out as a note of what is currently going on.  These are those things...

 


I saw in my US Mail Informed Delivery that my Bath and Body Works coupons will be delivered tomorrow, and miraculously two coupons were added to my Rewards App today.  I am sure those offers will be matched to the app offers.

In a post I shared back on August 25th when the App went live, much to the disbelief of many, I talked about my mailer coupons coming with my new App account number on them, and if I used my app coupon in store first, it invalidated the mailer coupons since they were connected.  The register shared "coupon was redeemed" when we checked to see what would happen.  It also was no longer available for an online purchase either.

Social media was not very happy in finding out this new plot twist of the Rewards App, and since then, there is still talk about it.

I try to look at it this way....it is their business.  If they chose to offer me a coupon, sale, discount, free item....that is their choice.  Like it is my choice to decide how, and when I will shop for their products.

Their new plan for coupon use seems aimed to weed out certain shoppers with no worry of loss in sales --- like rats in a maze, the shoppers who will shop (conform) to their sales and discounts will end up being what they wanted anyway... And again, their company.

 But, Our dollars....and how we use them is up to us.  Complaining changes nothing.

As far as the coupons - here are a few things I still think about --- how it will work ----  Mailer coupons that is.

  • Will this stop the sale of the "dumpster diver" coupon sales on social sites like Facebook?  Show of hands who believes they were all from the dumpster?  Ya, me neither.  Many of them looked way too perfect like they were just harvested from some mailers the post office did not deliver.
  • Will it stop the disappearing mail deliveries?  Let's face it...mailed coupons do not always get delivered, and some always seem to end up available for sale on Facebook....or redeemed in stores by a few people who wear a blue uniform.  Not kidding, this is a big problem in my area it would seem.  I have a PO Box, and I have seen the canvas cart go by in the morning filled with many brands of coupons, flyers, etc. not delivered -- just pushed to the back to be "destroyed."  Sure they are.  This presort standard mail does not seem to warrant the same urgency to go out, and the excuses that I have heard them say as to why they didn't go into the box they are addressed to???  Whatever.
  • With that being said ---What is going to happen if those mailer coupons that are "not delivered"  to the addressee but they get used by someone else....then show as already redeemed when the Reward Member uses the App instead?   How can the store know?


  • If the end goal could be to stop printing mailer coupons and get every shopper using the App.  what about those who will still refuse to add it for various reasons??? -- will there still be coupons for them?  My elderly Aunt is not interested in adding the App to her phone  (she gets overwhelmed these days after the loss of her husband and daughter) ...but still shops heavily online and in stores when she goes to the mall.  I have witnessed many older shoppers get confused as to what the associate is saying when trying to add the App, and leave without adding the App or getting a discount. 
  • My husband added the App to his phone for the Holiday Shopping he does...to keep roaming eyes, mine, from knowing what I may be getting.  He has yet to make a purchase, but the mailer coupon with his name on it now has my Reward App number printed on it connecting it to my account.  Thus invalidating it if I make a purchase using mine first.  We aren't making numerous accounts to reap numerous benefits...but I can only assume it became connected by the mailing address.  Customer Service told me what to tell the cashier, and I am not going to mention it here,  but I hope that they connect him and his account accordingly in the future because Holiday is right around the corner.
  • I have seen the green holiday design $10 off of $40 / $25 off of $75 and Free Shipping Bounce Back Coupon for Canada  and it reminds me of the Holiday Booklets the stores gave out...when they still gave out bounce back coupons at this time of year.  That is the one thing I miss when getting these App Coupons...the colorful marketing appeal of new...coupled with the savings.

If the company wants me to have access to one coupon of savings per month, then that is how I will direct my shopping habits.  No one wants to pay full price for everything they buy and non-essentials at a time of inflation fall lower on the ladder of need and want when the savings are minimized.

 

Another thought....one last thing to talk about is RETURNS/EXCHANGES

We aren't even two weeks into the new policy changes and it is still chaos for some...if reading the social media postings from those trying to return and exchange are true.  Whether it is the associates/managers are still not fluid on the new rules, or they are making it up as they go...all that I am reading is more than frustrating ---and it is not even happening to me.  Stores are still not on the same policy.

Bath and Body Works needs to address these complaints and help their teams get on the same page because come holiday time. which is the true test of change,  it is going to be madness.  And no "give them a chance" posts in groups is going to help make someone who had a terrible experience feel better...especially if they were cheated out of money over the process.  Bad experiences = more work for Customer Service.

Me, I am going to be even more selective than I have been in everything I purchase, with limiting online purchases because there seems to be more confusion over how to do that return/exchange with proficiency.  

And to keep it simple, anything not giving me 100% satisfaction new and unused, I will return it for cash back to my card.  No exchanges.   

I love this brand and I have watched it evolve for a very long time.  Each evolution comes with a number of challenges to overcome --- some for the better, and some not so much so.  I am hoping that something better comes with these recent changes...for us...as well as the brand.