How To | DIY Garden Bee Hive | Made from The Dollar Store Supplies - April 18, 2019

I have always wanted to buy a Bee Skep for decorating the inside of my home and my garden but if you are like me and have searched for them too you would see just how expensive they are, how hard they are to find, and how quickly they sell out when found.

Luckily, I saw a creative way to make a Bee Hive while saving a ton of money.  After trying it for myself I just had to share the "How To" of this project for other DIY Crafters.
Here is what you need to get started:

 



Supplies for the Bee Skep ( Hive ) :
  • A flower pot. Measures 6.25" Diameter x 5.625 "tall. This one came from The Dollar Tree Store and just by looking at it, upside down, it looks like a bee hive.  I am not sure how long the store will carry this pot, it took me looking in three different stores to actually find it so I suggest even if you don't have time now to make it, but want to in the future...get your supplies now.
  • 4 packages of Jute Rope.  A thicker size is required and this also came from The Dollar Tree.  It was in both the Craft section and the Garden section of the various stores I visited.  Each package measures 9.5 ft.
  • Hot Glue Sticks.  I used 11 sticks while making this project.  I used Gorilla Brand Hot Glue Sticks because the packaging states it holds 5 times longer.  Gluing onto a plastic flower pot to help keep its form made me think I may need extra hold. I purchased a package of 30 sticks from Walmart for $5.97 ( plus tax ).  There were larger packages ( 45 sticks ) priced at $7.97 ( plus tax).
  • Black Acrylic Craft Paint.  Used to make the faux "hole" in the bee hive.
  • Brush to add the paint.  Don't choose too large a brush for this smaller area as you don't want the paint on the outside ring jute.
  • Scissors. To cut the jute.
  • Hot Glue Gun.  I have mine for a very long time now as you can see but any hot glue gun will do.  It holds standard size glue sticks, not the mini's.


 

My Bee Hive will be used inside starting out on my Coffee Bar along side of my Rae Dunn dishes so for this particular hive I am not concerned with the weather.  Because of that, I am not concerned with making a base for the hive as it won't be seen anyway.

I started out with the Hot Glue Gun really hot and added a bead of glue along the lower edge as close to the bottom as possible.  I don't want the pot to show, but this color flower pot does help mask any areas that are not too perfect.

 
You want to glue "slowly" and carefully not to burn your fingers...but it does sometimes happen as you add the jute.  Take your time.  You don't want to glue too thickly a bead that it shows up on the jute front.  Carefully add the jute going around the pot.

 
Your next rows will be glued closely to the previous row.  As you make your way around the pot take your time to press the glue bead on the top of the previous row and the flower pot.  You will get a feel for it doing small areas at a time.  Hot glue can sometimes set up and harden quickly so keep the area that you are gluing as a small section.

 
At this point I had used up the first package of jute and added the second package right up against the first piece.  You will notice that the jute edges has a teeny piece of tape on it to keep the jute from fraying.

 
You have two choices.  Carefully remove the tape before you butt it against the first edge, or leave it on and but it against.  I left it on for one pack and then carefully removed it and tacked down the tip before it unraveled.  Again, the glue is HOT so if you put a dab of glue on it to stop it from fraying...expect it to be hot before you pinch it. 

 
Be sure to carefully butt each new pack of jute to the edge of the previous.  This is a fun craft project but you don't want it to look sloppy.  Bees, are perfectionists with the real thing.

Time to add another package of jute.


Now we are at the end of the third package of jute and ready to get the top added.  As you can see there is no "top" of the pot so I will be making it by adding the jute at a bit of an angle onto the previous row as I work my way up.  Yes, it can be scary not knowing where to put that dab of glue and just how to angle it...but trust me...you will see and get the feel of it as you begin.
Take your time and add the glue carefully.

 
The couple of glue spots you see below are the spiders you get from hot glue guns putting glue on and then putting down the gun.  Let them dry and they are easy to remove afterward.

Okay, before I started my fourth package of jute I cut an 12" piece of jute off, made a loop and glued it down to the center of the flower pot top.

Put a dab of glue in the center and make a "foot" with the bottom of the loop staying in the center.

​I kept adding the jute around the top making the open area smaller.

Work your fourth package of jute up around the loop carefully gluing it along the way and cut and poke your end into the hole next to the loop. These next photos are the front and back side of the bee hive top.


 

I cut a 5" piece of the leftover jute and made a circle by joining the ends. I then glued the circle to the side of the bee hive I thought was better looking.  Not too low and not too high up from the bottom.
I added the black paint inside of the circle and set it aside to dry.

When I get my coffee bar set up I will add the photo of the bee hive in place.  And I will be looking for smaller flower pots to make tiny bee hives...along with making a few more of this size.  This was my first try at this without having instructions so my next bee hive should be much easier.

This project took me a bit over an hour to complete.