watching life go by

May 22, 2013

It's hot here.  August hot. Summer heat that you know with your eyes closed.  The smell of the warmth in the air as the sun beats down on you.

Those kinds of days where there is barely any noise outside as it is too hot and humid to do anything but sit on a swing and sip something cold.  The glass of tea sits in a pool of its own condensation on the plastic end table next to me as I sit still trying not to sweat.  The birds are fluttering around the yard making their way to the freshly cut grass for food and then back to their nests.  And I watch them and wonder do they ever get tired.

I do.  Goodness I have been having late nights lately trying to get this blog page done after having a full day of house things also trying to get done.  Forget about adding in work stuff...family stuff. There is an awful lot of stuff it seems.  So I make my lists and try to tackle them one task at a time...or one multi task at a time.

It must have been a long winter for the all creatures great and small as I have a yard full of baby rabbits running around.  And that's great, I love taking their pictures and watching them at night interact with each other running through the chain links of the fence and then back again.  The trouble is they are little buggers when it comes to my new plantings.  They do not respect the barrier of the raised flower bed now holding my lettuce sprouts.. ha ha.  I watched three rabbits on my neighbors side of the fencing running back and forth while one rabbit on my side matched their craziness....and then he would poke his head in between the links.  All while trampling my lettuce sprouts.  And yelling, "get off of my lettuce" does not work.  :)

They also seem to love the taste of zinnias as they have traveled the entire yard and ate every new planting down to the nubs.  And when they were full from those, they went onto eating the marigolds.

I purchased three trays of flowers to plant in the yard as well as the graves. Each tray had about 72 plants in it.  They have taken care of at least one tray so far.  So Sunday I went and got a fourth flat.

I have them sitting high atop the picnic table now...still unsure of when I should try to plant them.  I was hoping my four friends would make their way to another yard....for dinner at least....and come back to their nest under the holly bush at night....after they are full. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

I will worry about it later.  For now I am going to sit here in the silence of the day...sipping my tea and watching life.....go by....